Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Week 38

I got a little scare before my 37 week appointment. One of Chalasani's nurses called to inform me that my group b strep results were inconclusive and that I'd have to retake the test. I didn't know much about gbs at the time and was a bit freaked out hearing that I'd have to be hooked up to an IV. However, after some more research, talking with Kerin, and just having more time to process, I'd come to terms with it.

However, when I went in for my 38 week appointment yesterday, Debbie informed me that the results had come back negative this time. I am pretty excited. The thought of having an IV hooked up to me was not the end of the world but was also not relaxing.

At this point in pregnancy people keep asking me if I'm ready and some days I think I am and others I realize I'm pretty content with Adelaide on the inside. With her inside, things are just so quiet. She's eating well. She's cozy and not having trouble sleeping (neither am I). I'm able to work on lots of other things. It's really not so bad. But then there are other times when I feel like I'm getting uglier by the day and I need to get her out as soon as I can.

At the appointment yesterday, I was checked for dilation for the first time. Chal asked if I wanted her to check the week before and I passed because I didn't want it to affect my thoughts. I wasn't sure what to expect; at one point I kept thinking she was going to come early. Now I really am feeling like I have no idea. I wasn't dilated at all not that that's an indicator of when I'll go into labor but I guess I was expecting something else.

It's so weird to think that I'll be a mom so soon. I'm not sure it's all quite sunk in yet. In fact I know it hasn't.

No comments: