Monday, November 26, 2007

Wow, what a week!

It's crazy how much can happen in a week. We first headed to Pine Cove for our regional staff conference and then drove to Louisiana to spend time with the family. There were some great high points during the week and some lows as well.

Adelaide has grown up so much this week. Rocky's mom said it took Adelaide coming to Louisiana to show off her skills. She ate her first finger foods-- a cracker, cereal, banana chunks, pieces of bread. She is now able to get into a sitting position all on her own. She started crawling AND is now saying Dada. That's it though. :)

There are SO many videos and pics I want to post.

First things first. The first night we got to Louisiana everyone was all sitting around. Adelaide was scooting around and all of a sudden we saw her sitting up. I asked Rocky if he sat her up and he said he didn't. It was funny that we were all there and none of us actually saw her sit up on her own for the first time. We didn't have to wait too long to see it though. On thanksgiving day I put Adelaide down for a nap, didn't hear her for awhile and then after about 20 minutes or so I heard her talking to herself. I went in and she was doing this. It was so weird to see her sitting up in her crib for the first time.


It was amazing how quick she got the hang of it:


Then tonight she suddenly got the hang of crawling. She'd crawled before for never for more than a foot or so. I was leaving a voicemail for my mom during this video. Watch the girl go!


Since we spent alot of time in the car, she spent alot of time eating and sitting in her car seat. She loves her some peas and I love this picture. She was a champ with the travel as usual.
i loves me some peas

Since we'll be in Michigan for Christmas, we celebrated Christmas with my mom while we were there for Thanksgiving. Adelaide got to open her first present. My mom also got her a santa hat. With her Christmas tree already up I couldn't resist posing her. (Disregard the slobber, she's still getting in 3 teeth).
ready for christmas

Of course, cuteness isn't guaranteed!
grrrrrr

Adelaide spent alot of time with Claire, Rocky's brother's new little one. She's 15 months old but weighs the same as our little chunk.
playing with claire

We ate lots of yummy food while back in Louisiana (most of which made me feel sick after eating it since don't eat fried foods much anymore. i now feel like i need a cleansing or something). We went to Kevin's on the Bayou with my mom, brother, aunt Joyce, and her granddaughter. The food was good but my favorite part was the spinach and artichoke dip. It was incredible. Instead of bread or crackers, it was served with fried bowtie pasta. Whoever thought of that was brilliant.

yummy goodness

Here we all are:
at kevin's on the bayou

Afterwards we walked out by the bayou. It's not the best picture ever (especially with Adelaide's eyes closed).
at the bayou

Every time I've checked on Adelaide during naps she's always sleeping in a funny position. I captured a few of those positions.
funny sleeping 1

funny sleeping 2

funny sleeping 3

The weekend before we went out of town, Rocky threw me a birthday party. It was an awesome time. I love it when so many people I love are gathered together. Here's one of my favorite pictures from that night-- Adelaide pulling Nathan Greene's hair.
i wish i had hair like this!

So I mentioned low points at the beginning of the post. Everything was great, wonderful until early Thanksgiving morning. I was feeling good. Adelaide was great. I finally started thyroid medicine on Tuesday evening and it seems to be helping me feel better already. However, at about 3 am Thanksgiving morning, Rocky woke up in severe pain. His neck and back had been mildly aching for about a week before this. He thought he'd just slept on it funny but the pain was so intense that morning that he couldn't lay down anymore. He couldn't even sit. I've never seen Rocky hurt so much. He just paced the house the rest of the night and all day.

Finally around 4:30 we headed to the urgent care in Baton Rouge, the only place that was open on Thanksgiving. Rocky had such a hard time moving. It was nearly impossible for him to even make it to the doctor cause of the pain when he tried to get in the car. They suspected a pinched nerve and prescribed lots of pain pills and muscle relaxers. Unfortunately the pain pills didn't really help at all. Luckily I'd made a trip to the ER just the week before and still had some vicodine left over so even though it's not really recommended to take someone else's medicine, he took it just to get some relief.

Friday and Saturday weren't really much better. Our plan was to head back home on Saturday but we just couldn't do it. We waited until Sunday which was a huge mistake. Rocky hurt more than ever and on top of it there were thunderstorms. Oh yeah, and I-10 was closed from Baton Rouge to Lafayette. So the trip that normally takes us 8 or 9 hours took us 11 (and we didn't even stop for dinner). I had to drive the whole time and with the delays and detours and having to take care of Adelaide during each break instead of getting to walk around, I was exhausted when we finally made it home.

When we made it to Austin, we decided to go ahead and stop at another Urgent Care clinic. I'm so glad we did. They gave Rocky a shot for the pain and some stronger pain relievers and muscle relaxers. Eric and Jamie, our neighbors, were awesome as usual and helped us unload the car and brought us dinner once we made it home. Rocky actually got a decent night's sleep with the new medication. He still isn't feeling better today though. Both doctors want him to see an orthopedic surgeon. He'll be going into work tomorrow even though he can't even drive with all the drugs he's on and hopefully he'll get to go see the doctor soon.

My last post was titled "when it rains it pours." When I wrote that I was really thinking the end of the craziness was in sight. Obviously I was wrong. I can't wait til our lives get back to normal. We'd all love and appreciate your thoughts and prayers for us.

1 comment:

Susan, wife of 1, mother of 4 said...

She is SO CUTE, Sunee! I am really sorry to hear about your and Rocky's health problems! Please post an update soon. We'll be praying.