Wednesday, March 07, 2007

40 +

Yesterday was the due date so I was very anxious to see what the doctor would have to say at this appointment. dilation? effacement? induction?

News was somewhat encouraging. I am still looking healthy-- good blood pressure, ok weight gain, no swelling, etc. I am measuring smaller than I did last week which the doctor said means she's making her descent, that her head's furthur down that it was last week. I also asked her how big she thoguht the baby is. She mashed around a bit and said she thinks she's between 7 1/2 and 7 lbs 10 oz. We'll see how accurate her estimation is very soon.

Upon the not-so-fun internal exam, she passed along the news that I'm now dilated to 1 cm! It's not much I know, but it's something. She decided to mildly strip the membranes to try and get more activity going so we'll see. She said 50% of the time it helps progress labor. Not really any effacement to speak of as of yet but she said really dilation's the most important thing.

So I guess Rocky and I will keep doing what we've been doing-- walking 3 miles a day, some bedroom recreation, some drinking of herbal teas, etc. We've got an appointment sort of set up next week for Tuesday but hopefully we won't have to use it. Actually they had a very difficult time setting me up at all so maybe that's a sign. If I haven't delivered by then, they'll be doing a sonogram and a non-stress test where they monitor Adelaide's heartbeat for 20-30 minutes. From there they'll determine whether or not I come back later, check in to the hospital immediately or whatever. I'm still really hoping that 1 cm dilation turns into 10 all on it's own and I won't have to worry with any of that other mess.

No comments: