Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Did she teach herself to read?

Yesterday was a nice day. Used the potty all day. Check. Great attitudes all around. Check. Abe napped perfectly despite 4 mth shots. Check. Adelaide woke up at 10am and then still took a 2 hour nap. Check. Like I said, great day. I even got some reading in.

I told Adelaide we were going to go to her room to read together. I was going to read my bible and she could read whatever she wanted in her "reading nook" that Rocky made her. She asked to read her bible too so I got out all her bibles-- 2 picture bibles and a small pink pocket bible (like a gideon's bible). She laid in her nook and read her Gideon's bible for 30 minutes. I keep asking her if she wanted to read one of the picture ones, and she said she didn't. She carried the bible with her all day and would stop and "read" occasionally.

When bed time rolled around, she asked Rocky if she could bring her bible to bed with her. He said she could. Thanks for our video monitor we saw that Adelaide "read" her bible for about an hour before going bed. I can't picture what must be going on in her head. There are no pictures. How can the text be that interesting to her that she could read for hours yesterday? The only conclusion I came to is that she must be able to read. Otherwise, she may be crazy?

She woke up this morning with her little pink bible in hand again. She kept reading all morning. I asked her what she was reading and she said, "the letters." Rocky interpreted that to mean the Pauline epistles.

3 comments:

Mandy said...

she's a genius..pure and simple.
EG was "reading" a coloring book last night, making up all kinds of words in her unknown tongue :)
hope you can come to PC! miss you guys

Susan, wife of 1, mother of 4 said...

My thoughts exactly - she's a genius! Actually, I've found that the kids watch even the little things that we do and imitate them. You reading is a great thing for her to imitate. You reading your bible is better yet! GREAT PARENTING, Sunee!

Carters said...

Funny...Ella used to do the same thing when she was that age. She loved the little Gideon NT - we actually had three - orange, white and green. She would just sit forever pretending to read, usually sitting at the office desk. Very cute to see the love they have for God's word start even at that young of age.