Monday, May 21, 2007

2 month check up

I don't know why the vertical pics aren't upright like they normally are. I'll work on it and fix it later.



Today was Adelaide's two month check up. I heard that it can be a rough one because of the immunizations so I was a bit worried. I had to wake Adelaide up to get her there and tried to feed her a little before the car ride so she'd be full and happy at the doctor's. Well, she fell as soon as I tried to nurse her so I gave up and just strapped her in the car seat.


Since she hadn't eaten and had to be woken up when we got to the pediatrician's I really thought we'd be in for a difficult visit, but Adelaide was great. She smiled and laughed the whole time she was being weighed, measured, and had checked out. The doctor wrote on her chart that she was "pleasant" (which she's been every time). She weighed 11 lbs. 6 oz (4 lbs. 4 oz. more than her birth weight) and measured 23 inches long (2.5 inches more than her birth length). This placed her in the 75th percentile both in weight and height. The doc said that's really great; she's very proportional.

He then checked her physical development-- her ability to hold up her head and shoulders, her ability to "stand" up, and her "push ups." After all those things he said above average wouldn't be good enough to describe Adelaide's development, he said she is superb! It looks like the few minutes of tummy time we make her endure each day are paying off.

I asked him a few questions-- about her drool, spit up, something that feels like a pea on her head, and her toenails. He said she's drooling a little earlier than most kids. It just means the gland that produce saliva have developed faster than most (one advancement that wasn't necessary in my book). He said the spit up is fine. We only need to worry when she hates lying on her back or if she is extremely fussy. Even if she spits up her whole meal once every other day it would be fine. He said the pea I was feeling was just her a lymph node and that her toenails are ingrown but that they should be fine and that it's normal.

Next came the part I was not looking forward to-- the immunizations. Adelaide had to have 3 shots and another immunization taken orally. She did an excellent job taking the the one orally. Then I talked to her as the nurse gave her 3 shots in about 3 seconds (see the bandaids on her leg in the pic above). I have never seen Adelaide cry so hard; her face turned redder than I'd ever seen a person turn before. She cried for about a minute. I shushed her and nursed her. She calmed down pretty quick after she started eating.

After she ate she fell fast asleep. Poor girl was worn out. We headed to Babies R Us after that while she slept. I had to get a new car seat. The manufacturer recommends replacing car seats after a wreck so I was definitely gonna do it since someone else's insurance was gonna cover it. Why take the chance that it wouldn't be as safe?

Adelaide slept all the way from 3:45 or so until 6:15 or so. After that she cried and cried. I fed her, gave her tylenol (the doctor said it would help with soreness and fever) I tried to pacify her anyway I could. Things would only help temporarily. Poor girl was so sore. She finally settled down around 8:30 or so and went to sleep.

I hope she'll be feeling better tomorrow. Here's some pics from the past week:

Rocky and I had breakfast Friday with Adelaide watching us in her bumbo seat:


The kid absolutely loves watching our faces:


Adelaide has been putting everything in her mouth already. All her toys have been covered with saliva recently.


About once a week Adelaide takes a shower with Rocky. She really enjoys it, almost as much as a bath.

1 comment:

Charis said...

Sounds like she's following in her parent's footsteps... superb and above average! (With the exception of height of course). :) We miss you guys!