Monday, March 17, 2008

Our Baby is a Kid





Adelaide is growing up right before our eyes. She always looked bigger and bigger, but now she is just seeming older. Wow, I can't even really describe all the things that make Adelaide seem like a big kid, but I'm gonna try and list a few.

Words and sounds--
She is "talking" up a storm. She is saying more and more words and is starting to "parrot" what we are saying. Scary. New words today-- potato and cado (as in avocado). Can you guess what was on the menu today? Seriously her actually eating those things at the moment definitely helped us figure out what she was saying, but still, it was pretty cool.

Her words to date are-- mama, dada, dog, whoa (i guess we say this more than we realize), no, bye-bye (bahbah, wow (this is only a parroted word), and awh (only when hugging or kissing something).

We ask Adelaide "what sound does a lion make?" We get a roar. We cough. She coughs. We sneeze. She coughs (she can't quite imitate that perfectly). She still sounds like a wookie occasionally. She still buzzes her lips. She makes new cool sounds everyday and will imitate us when we make them too. It's so neat.

Doing things and listening--
She is doing new things everyday. Since my post about stairs she can now go down with ease and does so without prompting. She'll be out in the yard playing and kneel down, turn around, and scoot down off our back slab. It's pretty funny that she'll do that no matter how big the drop off. She did it today going down a one inch drop off. Hey, better safe than sorry. She can get off the couch and bed safely as well incorporating the same skill.

She can do lots of things on command (well, when she feels like it). She can wave hello and bye bye and loves to do it all the time. When we go to the store that's pretty much what she does. I feel sad when she gets so excited and is waving and no one returns her sweet waving. She will clap when I tell her to. You say "shake" and she'll shake what she's holding.

She can pull all the tabs and flip all the flaps in her favorite book Tails. She can pretend to brush her teeth and her hair. She will put things back when I tell her to (well, sometimes); she will help me put toys into her baskets. She can eat pretty much like an adult and has managed to chew even steak. Seriously. She can step into her pants to help me put them on. She can roll a car around on its wheels and make a car sound. She can throw or roll a ball to me (well, she can throw a ball. it may not even make it close to me). She pretends to drink from any cylindrical object around the house. She points to things she wants and lets me know it (though she pretty much refuses to sign things to let me know). She shakes her head no and nods yes when she's really excited about something. She can take all of her clothes off and stick her hand in her diaper (I'm not really excited about that one). She can open and close doors and drawers. She knows the difference between her baby, Ling (her stuffed monkey), and Puppy (another stuffed animal). She can usually tell me (by pointing or picking up the appropriate one). She can walk without having her arms out like wings. She drinks her milk out of a sippy all by herself. Anyway, there's some of the new things; I'm sure I'm missing a bunch and boring everyone that's reading this but it's my blog. It's mostly to help me remember it all so you can get over it :).

This week she is turning one. Sometimes it's weird to think about what life was like one year ago. It's flown by so fast. It's been an amazing year. I never thought I'd be saying that. I love my kiddo (can you tell?). Here's some recent pictures of the nearly one year old.

I love that I can put her hair in pigtails now. Pigtails are the new hairdo of choice.




Spring weather brings out our desire to go outdoors. As Adelaide's birthday present and something I've been wanting to get for awhile, we got this bike trailer/ jogging stroller. We love it so far.


Watching Dad work:


here's a video I took a couple of weeks ago. She's just playing with opening and closing the door to our bathroom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

we never get enough info. on our sweet adelaide, keep up the great work on the blog. and a super thank you from all of us who love her.