Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Life as Usual

I used to say that life was busy. I actually found myself saying that alot. Today I think I realized that I should just accept busyness as a way of life and then when things are slower I'll be pleased. So that said, life has been life as usual. Since it's been a little while since I posted I'll do my best to catch everyone up to speed.

A couple of weeks ago we hosted our first film festival. We had absolutely no idea what to expect. We didn't know how many would turn out. We didn't know if we'd be able to lead discussion well. We didn't know if the films would be well received. Well, it went well, and we're already looking forward to hosting another one some time. There were about 30 or so people that came which was perfect. If we would have had many more we would not have had room. We opened with Vinyl, a short film that Rocky's team made here in Austin. It's not quite complete yet, but it was by far the crowd favorite. I was super surprised because it was the lowest budget film they've done recently, and the story is simple, based on the parable of the Lost Coin. I'll have to get Rocky to post a link to it later so you can check it out. We showed 3 more films and had lots of other films showing on computers before and after the festival. It seemed like everyone had a great time. If you were there and you didn't, keep it to yourself :).


For a normally drought prone area, Austin has been getting lots of rain in the past week or so. I'm loving that I don't have to water the grass as much and Adelaide is loving that she gets to play in the rain.


Adelaide has been painting more. This time with a brush. To Rocky's surprise she didn't sample any of the real paint even though I let her eat the yogurt "paint" I made a couple of weeks ago. An old shirt of mine clothespinned in the back made a great painting smock. Just passing that tidbit along.

We had plans every day and every night for the past week and a half. All good stuff-- getting to know new folks and reconnecting with old friends. The highlight of the week was having our good friend Matt in town. We met and became friends when we were on STINT in Thailand back in 2002-2003. Though we haven't seen each other in about 2 and a half years, it felt just like old times. We mostly just hung out at some of Austin's most awesome restaurants (go Torchy's and Enoteca!), but we also made a stop at Toy Joy, a very Austiny toy store. It was our first time there, and it was lots of fun. I think this photo says it all. And for all those wondering-- yes, they will have adult versions of these before Christmas.


Another thing that has been keeping us busy is our new video game, Rock Band. Although I used to make fun of people that played it, I am now addicted (though I only play when people are over). It's a great game that actually sort of promotes hanging out. 4 band members try to rock faces off with the guitar, bass, drums, and vocals. That will show me for judging a book by its cover.

1 comment:

Charis said...

Aww man! We thought that since we owned Rock Band, you'd actually come down here to visit us. Now that you guys have it, I guess we'll never see you again....