Wednesday, August 27, 2008

One of those days (in a good way)

Rocky's been working from home since we got back from Thailand, and today was Rocky's first full day back in the office. I was worried Adelaide was going to be fussy missing her dad since she is sort of a daddy's girl. Though she asked "where daddy?" multiple times, today was one of those days that brought on impromptu "I love you"s over and over.

I don't know what it was about today, but Adelaide was in the best mood she's been in in a long while. Not only was she not fussy, she was super happy. Not only was she super happy, she did things that made me laugh. It was a great day.

I had to go to the dentist this morning and decided to bring Adelaide along with me. I was a little nervous she'd cause a commotion but she just sat patiently in her stroller for 45 minutes watching.

Then we came back home and watched Jude, our neighbor's son. To say they played well together is an understatement. Adelaide shared well and didn't annoy him. They laughed and imitated each other for a couple of hours. I was even able to let them play out in the back yard and Adelaide didn't fuss wanting me to come out with her.

Adelaide helped me load and unload the dishwasher. She did it exactly as she's supposed to including pushing in the bottom rack and shutting the door. When she saw that she was running out of clean dishes to unload she started handing me imaginary dishes so she wouldn't have to quit (this is one of those things that brought out an "i love you.") She's learning how to joke with me.

This morning she started playing "peek a boo" by covering her face with her hands. She got a huge thrill out of the game every time and loved telling me peek a boo over and over. We can add this to her list of phrases now.

At the YMCA today Adelaide didn't even cry when I put her in the nursery (something we've been struggling with recently thanks to good ol' separation anxiety). She just went off to play. When I peeked in on her she was prancing little horses around and having them "talk" to one another.

This evening Adelaide wanted to "wash tv." I put on Signing Time and we sat down together to watch. I was amazed as Adelaide picked up on almost all of the signs. She even used a few before bed. It was a good episode that included things like "brush teeth" and "brush hair."

Before bed she sat in her rocking chair and wanted me to read to her. So I did for about 30 minutes. And she just sat there interested in the Bible. That's a huge feat for a busy little girl.

I think the thing that takes the cake though is this. She went and got the wipes out of the bathroom (by climbing on the toilet), opened them, came up to me with one, and said "wash butt." Yes, wash butt. She proceeded to um. . . wash. Not her butt, but mine. I had the camera near so enjoy this photo of my butt. My kid cracks me up.

3 comments:

cheryl said...

HILARIOUS!!! What a great day. :o) You'll be glad you wrote all this down so you can go back and look at it.

Cheng family said...

I'm so glad you guys had a wonderful day. And that you finally got your butt washed. Whew! Seriously, though, she must have gotten a double dose of humor!

Anonymous said...

it wont be long and it will be potty trainimg time,and you will wipe her butt......... i miss seeing her, and hate that were missing out on our grand daugther. thank you for the info. we love and miss you so very much. this my be our last time ti visit . hurricanes always not out the ole internet. last strom was14 days. love you bye bye grammie pops