Tuesday, December 30, 2008

More Adelaide quirkiness

We are currently in Ft. Worth and will be here 'til next Monday for the annual Winter Conference, a conference for college students involved with Crusade in our four state region. I think this year we expect 900 students. I hope it's a life changing experience for all that attend; it was for us when we were students.

Rocky is part of the program team that helps plan each of the main meetings. It involves alot of serious stuff obviously but they also get to have alot of fun and make videos to keep the students awake. I don't know a ton about their content this year, but I look forward to seeing what they've been up to.

So anyway, while Rocky's been working and everyone on his team has been working, I've been finding creative ways to live happily in one room with a 21 month old. It's normally not too bad except when she's trying to go to bed. I usually have resorted to hanging out in the bathroom so I don't disturb her. On the 1st though we will have a suite so I'll be movin' on up. We were one of 6 randomly selected families to get a free upgrade this year. Awesome.

Our hotel is nice but doesn't have free internet in the rooms which is one downer. We're at the Renaissance Worthington in the heart of Sundance Square. The location is pretty dang awesome. I'm used to having to hop in the car anywhere we go while we're at winter conference, but this year I haven't had to get in the car once. I can just stroll to tons of stuff-- restaurants, book stores, little boutiques, etc. It's been nice.

I'm also excited to get to hang out with friends we don't normally get to see while we're here. Anyway, on to Adelaide's quirkiness.

Tonight as I was getting Adelaide ready for bed, I was talking to her about when she was a little baby and what it will be like when the new baby comes. I must have said "when she/he comes" because Adelaide starting singing "will be coming 'round the mountain." It's not one that I sing alot so I asked her where she heard it. She said, "watch little tv. headphones. will be coming 'round the mountain." Might not make sense to many but to me it meant she heard it on the little dvd player in the car (hence the headphones).

Adelaide is also funny because she can instantly be friends with any little kid. Today we were at Barnes and Noble here in Ft. Worth while Rocky was working (I think he was doing something really hard like running around as a deviled egg, yeah, ask me later). Anyway, she ran up to this group of four kids and just hung out with them for an hour while we were there. One girl was older and fell in love with Adelaide. Me and the moms just watched them play.

Last night when during our first dinner with the program team (which Rocky is part of) for the conference, Adelaide gave everyone fist pounds or knuckles as she sometimes calls them, ticked random people, and hugged everyone in the group all on her own with no prompting.

Tonight she became good friends with kids at Razzoo's where we ate dinner. She was leading the group in a crouch and jump routine. Even though these kids were all older than her too, they all complied. It's fun to see her extroverted self.

Also tonight as we were waiting for the food to arrive, Adelaide who was hungry and who calls all waitresses "lady" starting saying "hey lady. food. come."

Today as she was going down for her nap, I heard her giving herself a pep talk. She had been punished a little bit before bed and she was saying stuff like this, "i obey mommy. i sorry mommy. go to corner." It was funny. She didn't wake up in a better mood unfortunately.

1 comment:

Daryl & Diana said...

Such a fun age. We call the fist bumps "Howies" after Howie Mandel from Deal or No Deal. He's a germ-a-phobe, and bumps fists instead of shaking hands.