Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Krabi

It's nice to be back in Bangkok with Rocky again. He'll be blogging about his past week on our other blog. Even though I was looking forward to being on the beach. It just wasn't the same without Rocky. I missed him alot, and it was alot harder to do anything. It was nice to have another family and my dad around so they could help occasionally. It's also nice to be in a country where people love kids, especially blonde kids. Because she's a magnet for Thais, I got alot of help from random people.

Well the trip did not get off to a good start. We loaded up in a taxi with all our suitcases, stroller, children, and bags. When we got to the airport I started unloading immediately and tried to do so one handed because it was too busy to set Adelaide down. In the midst of all the craziness I somehow left my wallet in the taxi. Of course I realized this just in time for the guy to be gone. Dang. Luckily I didn't have alot of stuff in there-- about 30 dollars or so, my driver's license, and a few random replaceable cards. My dad called the taxi company immediately but these taxis were independent owned so basically I was out of luck. I called Rocky and had him cancel all of my credit cards which was pretty easy. It really wasn't that big of a deal but I beat myself up about it for the rest of the day. I hate it when I do stuff like that.

So we head inside the airport to check in for our Air Asia flight, and I guess I've been to Thailand so many times now I'm starting to bump into people I know when I go places. (Just this afternoon we ran into someone we knew at the grocery store.) Anyway, the Air Asia employee was P'Eddie, a former CCC Thailand staff. It was so funny that of all people someone I knew would check us in. It was nice to see a familiar face when I'd just lost my wallet.

The flight and van right weren't too bad though Adelaide said "get down" I don't know how many times. She also started saying the sentence, "I want to get down." Her vocab has expanded even more I'll have to fill everyone in on that later.

The beach in Krabi was great. Adelaide LOVED it. She's not the biggest fan of being in her floatie in the pool (she can climb out of it now) but was totally content chillin' in it in the sea. The water wasn't as clear as I would have liked but it was still beautiful. Adelaide also loved playing in the sand. It was "low season" so there were never more than a dozen people on the beach at a time which was nice. Restaurants weren't crowded and it was generally quiet. Everything was within walking distance. Perfect for 2 moms with 3 kids and my dad and his girlfriend.

Here's some pictures from our first evening in Krabi:



Our hotel was only a five minute walk from the beach. A breakfast buffet was included and everything was great except for ants. There were always ants in our rooms with all the crumbs and juice boxes around. It wasn't really a big deal though and for the price was paid, I was totally satisfied. Below is a picture of what I think is a lemur outside of our room:


We hung out alot on the balcony of our room. Adelaide loved our place because she could climb on every piece of furniture in it.

While we were in Krabi, we typically ate breakfast then headed to the beach for a couple of hours. Then we'd come back to the pool to shower and play. After that was lunch followed by naps. In the afternoons either Liza or I would watch the kids while the other had some alone time. We also traded off in the evenings after the kids were asleep. It was nice to be able to get a coffee and read or go get a massage. While I was there I got a 1 hour massage, a pedicure, and a foot scrub all for $20 (and that's at a touristy place). I love Thailand!

Like I said earlier, Adelaide is a Thai magnet. She gets so much attention all the time. I feel like a celebrity or something. Here she is below surrounded by people. Someone even put their baby in the stroller to "be her friend."

There was lots of great food to be had in Krabi-- german, indian, italian, irish, american, thai, etc. We usually ate Thai food which could be found right on the beach for just a couple of dollars a plate, but we occasionally ate some Western food as well. One night we went out for pizza. Adelaide and I both thought it was tasty but didn't make us happy for long. That night we both started feeling sick.

Adelaide began throwing up in her sleep. She felt so bad she wouldn't even move out of her vomit. I moved her to change her clothes and clean the sheets and she didn't even move. I was worried she was getting extremely dehydrated so I made her wake up and drink some water. She drank some but then began vomiting that. After that she was dry heaving over and over. I think all in all she vomited about 8 times. It was so hard to watch especially as I was sick as well. I never vomited but I did have diarrhea all that night and the next day. It was pretty miserable. The next morning Adelaide seemed as good as new but I definitely wasn't. I took a 3 hour nap with her and took it easy.

Here's some pictures of our last day at the beach, a perfect day by the way. It was absolutely gorgeous.


The flight home was uneventful. Adelaide slept the entire way on my lap and the taxi ride home was smooth. I only had to wait about 2.5 hours before Rocky was home. We were so excited to eat dinner together as a family.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

Sounds like your time at the beach had some definite ups and downs. The pictures are beautiful, though. I hope the next few weeks are relaxing and vomit-free.

Cheng family said...

highs and lows. i'm glad you guys got to go to the beach and spend time with your dad and his girlfriend. but so sorry that rocky had to miss it and especially that you and adelaide both got sick. i hope the next few weeks don't include barf.