Sunday, May 18, 2008

May 17, First Day in Thailand

After a whopping 3 hours of sleep Adelaide was ready to start our day. I mean it was 5:15pm to her, right? Why were we sleeping anyway? We failed miserably at getting her to go back to sleep so at about 6:30 or so Rocky took Adelaide for a walk. (He quickly learned our stroller was pretty useless around our neighborhood BTW. The sidewalks are too broken). He came back with moo ping and cow neow (pork on a stick and sticky rice) for breakfast which is one of our absolute favorite breakfasts in Thailand. Above Adelaide's getting her first taste of Thai food and it was a winner. She LOVES sticky rice. Don't judge me on my state in the picture please; put yourself in my shoes and think about how hot you'd look. :)

We unpacked a little bit before our team had a meeting at 10:00am. Adelaide "helped" us out of course.
She quickly found her toys and her favorite place to play in our room, the bathroom. It's gross and we've been trying to break her of the habit, but she loves it so much I'm giving her a little grace as we transition. She's really been a trooper considering everything. She's pushed through alot of exhaustion with minimal complaints.

After our meeting and a nap, we had our first shopping excursion to Carrefour. It's like a Super WalMart but in a mall. We got most of the goods to make our selves at home-- milk, yogurt, hangers, toilet paper, water, shampoo, detergent, etc. We helped ourselves to dinner in the Thai food court. My stomach was already turning from one day in Thailand (even with my probiotics) so I didn't really eat much. The kids all began crashing around 6:45. Rocky took Adelaide home with the other family on our team while I did some more shopping with the rest of the group. Rocky said Adelaide fell asleep on his lap in the taxi and didn't even wake as he unloaded the car and put her in her pajamas. Talk about tired. Poor girl.

Well we didn't stay up more later than she did which I was super thankful for because she woke up at 12:30 and didn't go back to sleep until 3. Remember, Thailand is exactly 12 hours difference from Austin so it really throws our bodies a curve ball. Once again, sleep didn't last nearly long enough 'cause we were up again at 6am. I hate you jet lag.

It's been really weird being here. Rocky and I were talking about how it's almost like a second home to us. We never really went through "culture shock" entering Thailand the first time. It was more like culture enchantment or something. Things that used to make us grab our cameras are things we don't even think about or notice now unless someone on the team asks us about it. I'm going to try and be aware of that and actually talk a little about the uniqueness of the country and culture this time. I think Adelaide will probably remind me of all the differences because I've never been here with a kid before.

No comments: