Sunday, June 15, 2008

Ayutthaya

Thailand's largest reclining Buddha.

Ayutthaya is the former capitol of Siam and is a place I'd been wanting to visit since we lived here. I recently learned that it's also a UNESCO World Heritage Centre; I think that's a fancy title for "cool place." The only time I'd been before was during Songkran (Thai water wars-- the best holiday ever) so I didn't see alot of the sites. So yesterday we spent the day with our friends Ped, Tik, and Hymn and explored Ayutthaya.

The day started out with lunch at a riverside restaurant. It was delicious. Here's some interesting "traffic" I saw while we ate.
a motorcycle ferry crossing to the other side.

a lady selling homemade beverages off her boat.

a tiny boat pulling three huge barges.

not traffic, but Tik, Hymn, and Ped eating lunch.

After lunch we were driving to one of the temples, and we started seeing elephants on the side of the road. Hymn flipped out she was so excited so we decided to go ride elephants first. You can do some cool stuff for $6 in Thailand.
Here we are riding an elephant. Adelaide loved it. I don't know if she really knew we were on an elephant but she definitely liked being up so high.

Adelaide feeding the elephants after our ride. I think she's got a healthy fear of elephants now instead of the scream-at-the-top-of-your-lungs type of fear.

Adelaide and I mesmerized by the free elephant show. I think it's becoming quite clear at least for now who she favors. I used to hear she looked like Rocky all the time, now I hear that she's got my eyes, my nose, and mouth. Well that about covers it.

No, this guy isn't being swallowed by the elephant. He did this willingly. The elephant carried him around like that.

Rocky and I at Wat Chaiwattanarm.

I don't know how many idols surrounded this temple. There was one every 5 feet or so. As I was walking around here I felt so heartbroken for Thais that have been so blinded to think that an idol is actually worthy of worship. This idol is proof of how powerless they are.

This temple like Wat Arun also had a crazy steep staircase. I didn't brave this one since I had climbed Wat Arun. I left his one to Rocky.

At the Reclining Buddha and Wat Chaiwattanarm, we headed to Wat Mahathat. We left our trip to those 3 Wats. The city is seriously covered with them. It would probably take weeks to go through all of them. Adelaide slept in the car with Ped during the first two so she was super excited to get to explore this temple with us. In her opinion temples are best for climbing.


And climbing
And climbing.
And climbing. I didn't think she could climb those steps by the way. She set out to prove me wrong and did so easily. She's been called "ling" (monkey) once or twice recently.


The most famous spot in Wat Mahathat is this image that's been engulfed by this amazing tree. Thais worship this image, but once again I got all spiritual and thought about how even God's creation is more powerful than an image carved by man.

One last shot of Wat Mahathat.


I leave you with Psalm 115:

115:1 Not to us, O Lord, not to us, but to your name give glory,
for the sake of your steadfast love and your faithfulness!

2 Why should the nations say,
“Where is their God?”
3 Our God is in the heavens;
he does all that he pleases.

4 Their idols are silver and gold,
the work of human hands.
5 They have mouths, but do not speak;
eyes, but do not see.
6 They have ears, but do not hear;
noses, but do not smell.
7 They have hands, but do not feel;
feet, but do not walk;
and they do not make a sound in their throat.
8 Those who make them become like them;
so do all who trust in them.

9 O Israel, [1] trust in the Lord!
He is their help and their shield.
10 O house of Aaron, trust in the Lord!
He is their help and their shield.
11 You who fear the Lord, trust in the Lord!
He is their help and their shield.

12 The Lord has remembered us; he will bless us;
he will bless the house of Israel;
he will bless the house of Aaron;
13 he will bless those who fear the Lord,
both the small and the great.

14 May the Lord give you increase,
you and your children!
15 May you be blessed by the Lord,
who made heaven and earth!

16 The heavens are the Lord's heavens,
but the earth he has given to the children of man.
17 The dead do not praise the Lord,
nor do any who go down into silence.
18 But we will bless the Lord
from this time forth and forevermore.
Praise the Lord!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVED your pictures, Sunee! Thailand looks beautiful...but Adelaide looks even more pretty. What a DOLL she is going to be! I love her blond curls!

I can't BELIEVE the elephants! You are so lucky! Enjoy your time there!

Cheng family said...

i love the pictures. especially the one of you and adelaide together. it really is amazing how much she is looking like you! i hope you guys are having a fabulous time!