Saturday, June 07, 2008

Temple Tour


Today after getting back from my dad's house, we met up with the team to do what I'm calling our "temple tour." We went to the Grand Palace with the Emerald Buddha and to Wat Arun, a famous temple in Bangkok I'd never actually been to. It was great fun. It was an extremely hot day, the hottest since we've been here, but it was beautiful. Visiting temples always brings out a mix of emotions in me. There are so many intricate details and really cool things to see, but it's also so sad to see people bowing dow before idols. When you think of it, pray for Thailand.

above and below: Adelaide on the lawn at the Grand Palace. We didn't actually go in. We've been there about 5 or 6 times now and the 250 baht (8 dollar) price tag per person seemed a bit too high.

Me and Adelaide on a water taxi crossing the Chao Praya river to Wat Arun. I'm sportin' my new sunglasses I bought off the street on the way to the boat for $1! The water taxi was 10 cents which was awesome. :
A cool shot of a monk on the water taxi with us to Wat Arun:

One of the many buildings at Wat Arun (temple of the dawn):

Notice all the roofs have what look like horns on the corners. Those are supposed to prevent spirits from going inside:

A random flower photo:

Me and Libby at the top of Wat Arun. We had to climb 3 sets of ungodly steep stairs to get up there. You can see the Chao Praya river and Bangkok in the background:

Those crazy stairs I was talking about:

Most Thai males are monks at some point. Here's 2 kid monks:

Wat Arun is mostly made out of pieces of China. It makes each section of the temple unique:

The team (sans me) L to R sorta: Rocky, Chris, Liza, Isabella (4), Adelaide, Zach (2), Andrew, Libby, and Matt.

No comments: