Wednesday, February 18, 2009

An Unexpected Surprise

Today when Adelaide woke up she said, "I want to wear panties." She went over to her dresser and picked out the pair she wanted to wear. I didn't really feel up to cleaning up pee and poo all day so I wasn't that enthusiastic but I went with it. I told her we need to pick out a "potty dress" too-- a special dress that would make it easy to get her panties on and off all day. She helped pick out a dress with me. Then we set to work. I got out all her prizes-- gummi bears, stickers, and lemonheads. We also did the whole process with her dolly to remind her what we'd do. We started setting the timer for 30 minutes and I thought I'd continue it throughout the day. I'd put on her the potty every time the timer went off or if she asked to sit on it herself.

When the timer went off the first time, we headed into the bathroom pausing breakfast. We read all of Curious George but didn't see any progress. So we went back to eating. Almost as soon as we sat back down and got the bib on and everything, she said, "I have to go pee pee." I was not impressed. I thought for sure we'd go back to the potty only to have nothing happen, but no. As soon as she sat down again she started peeing. She was so pumped and so was I.

About 30 minutes later, she told me, "I need to poopoo." I once again was not confident it would happen but brought her in. About 5 minutes later, she had successfully pooped and peed. I was super encouraged. We sat on the potty several more times in the morning with nothing else other than a few drops of pee. We celebrated nonetheless.

She remained "clean and dry" all the way through lunch. So it was from about 8am to 1:30pm with no accidents. At nap I put a diaper on her and told her we used diapers at naps. About 10 minutes in to her naptime, I heard her saying "I need to go potty." I didn't respond right away but she started crying after a few minutes. Sure enough, I went up there and she had just peed. She was pretty upset that she peed in her diaper.

I'm so excited about our progress and that she is wanting to do most of this all on her own. We'll see how the rest of the day goes. I'm keeping my expectations low, but know that she now seems to actually be capable of holding her pee successfully and knowing when she needs to go.

4 comments:

cheryl said...

Yahoo!!! Yay for easy potty training. I really hope it lasts! Tiny One pretty much did the same thing. She just started telling us whenever she needed to go.

Charis said...

way to go Adalaide!

Susan, wife of 1, mother of 4 said...

That is GREAT, Sunee! Go with it. It will be super great if she is potty trained by the time #2 comes along. YEA!

Rocky and Sunee said...

Update: we had a few days where she wasn't that interested but sunday when we were home she once again remained "clean and dry." She peed twice and pooped once in the potty! This morning she woke up and pooped once already. I'm super excited. Hopefully we keep seeing progress.