Monday, September 17, 2007

They Grow Up So Fast

My little girl is no longer a newborn. It seems like she's grown up so much just in the past 24 hours. As I write she's up in her crib taking a nap, doped up on tylenol to help with her teething pains. My kid is getting her first tooth! I suspected she was teething for the past few days-- excessive amounts of drool, one hand or the other in her mouth at all times, and having a hard time going to sleep. I've been feeling her gums for any developments and nothing, nothing, nothing; then this morning I felt again and there was a little bump where there was none yesterday. There's still no tooth visible but I'm hoping it will break through very soon so she won't have to deal with the pain of cutting a tooth very long.

Adelaide's also rolling around like crazy, another thing that's making me realize she's no longer my little baby. Even though she doesn't really roll around that much while we're playing, we suspected for awhile that she was doing some major rolling in her crib. She's been sleeping on her side for over a month now and would often be in weird places in the crib when we'd go to get her. We'd never really seen her amazing rolling skills but the other day when I put her in her crib I hung around to watch. She rolled from her back to her stomach and again to her back. She did it over and over 'til her head was at the other end of the crib. What a little sneaker. I would have never known that's how she was getting around if I haven't stayed. Then last night when she woke up with teething pain I went in to soothe her and when I went in to reach her I couldn't really figure out which end was up. She had turned 180 degrees in the crib and was also on her stomach pushing up. I'm so used to seeing her cute face when I peer in, not the back of her head. Then this morning when I went in to see her she was on her stomach again with one of her arms stuck in between the bumper and the mattress, between 2 slats. Again from her nap, same thing. Oh well. I guess it's one of those things we'll have to work through as she gets better at it.

Then yesterday evening we were giving Adelaide some tummy time and she scooted backwards in front of us. She's done it before but always when I was in another room. It was funny to see her trying so desperately to move toward something but do the exact opposite thing. I think she's still thrilled to be going anywhere at all.
Note: yes, we tempt our daughter to move with the hottest piece of technology on the market right now-- the iphone. It really is more functional that Apple markets it to be. And yes, that is Rocky's tongue in front of the camera at the end of the video.


After a little break we put her down again for tummy time and she did this for awhile. I'm having mixed emotions about how soon she'll probably be crawling around.


Today I gave Adelaide her first taste of peas. I was somehow convinced that she was going to hate them. When taking them out of the freezer I thought about combining them with apples to hide their taste but decided I'd rather see how she felt about them straight up. At first she didn't even want to open her mouth at all but then once she got a little taste of the peas on her lips she welcomed them, opening her mouth really wide. She ate it all! Surprisingly peas are a winner (and a winner for me too because they are the easiest baby food to make). To date the only food Adelaide doesn't love is butternut squash (which is fine with me because it's definitely a little more difficult to make).

Friday is her 6 month check-up. Already. Wow.

No comments: