Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The news


Adelaide is on the road to recovery! We went to the pediatrician and the ear, nose, and throat doctor too. They both had good hopeful things to say. Basically without going into a really long story, one ear is 90% better, the other is 95% better. The third antibiotic finally worked! I'm so pumped! At the ENT they did a hearing test, and her hearing is a bit diminished right now but it's not too bad. I did notice that on Saturday it seemed like she was hearing me again. For about a week and a half when I said "no" Adelaide acted like she didn't hear me. It's probably because she didn't! Both doctors basically said the same thing. If she gets another cold, she's very susceptible to another ear infection, and then giving her tubes will her more likely. They were hopeful though because cold and flu season is almost over. So if she can avoid a cold for the rest of the winter that would be awesome. Hopefully by next fall, she'll have outgrown this problem. Her poor little Eustachian tubes are just not big enough right now it seems.

Today Adelaide's back to sleeping in her crib. She even slept in the church nursery this morning during my bible study. Her appetite's still not great which stinks 'cause the pedi wants her weight up to 21 pounds by her birthday. I'll see what I can do. I'm trying. Plus today she has pooped 7 times! That's not helping us out. Hopefully when she gets off the antibiotics tomorrow her appetite will return and the diarrhea will be gone. Oh, here's some weird info. Antibiotics diminish appetite and stunt growth. So on top of it all, Dr. Spencer said she probably won't be at 75th percentile in height OR weight. Sad.

On a good note, we've been having so much fun now that Adelaide's feeling so much better. We went to the park, played around, and had our first family picnic the other night. We all had PB&J. We'll Adelaide had SB&J (soy butter and jelly since she's too young for peanut butter just yet). She is such a big kid these days. She had a great time swinging (as evidenced above) and climbed up the slide on her own and then would slid down. Every time she slid down her hair would all stand out because of the static electricity. Then on the way home Adelaide mimicked us. We'd roar, she'd roar. She's buzz our lips, she's buzz her lips. We'd smack, she'd smack. It just added to the fun evening. I'm so glad she can hear us again.

She can walk around outside now. It changes things alot. Like today when I got out of the car my hands were very full so I put Adelaide down and she followed me to the back door. How cool is that!

Anyway, that's the update. The news was encouraging and she's doing much better. Thank God.

2 comments:

Charis said...

Awesome!! What an answer to prayer!

Anonymous said...

Oh Phew! I'm so glad to hear she's doing better! Enjoy everything...what a great girl she is!