Thursday, October 18, 2007

Just when I think it's over. . .

. . .something else happens. I think I've actually posted twice that I think Adelaide's about to get better. Now I'm beginning to wonder if she ever will. She's been on antibiotics now for 1 week and the past two nights she's been fussy again, had a slight temperature, and is still pulling on her ears. :( I don't know if it's from the darn flu shot or what but I hate that my poor kiddo's having to deal with sickness for so long (and winter hasn't even arrived yet!). Granted none of it has been life-threatening or even that bad. The new thing now is diaper rash. Thank you amoxicillin. It's a love/ hate relationship. Well the good news is maybe I can write another review, this time on diaper creams. We've actually been letting her air her butt out and play on a waterproof pad. That seems to help more than any cream. Oh for things to be normal once more.

On to more upbeat news, Adelaide crawled yesterday. OK, so she really only moved a couple of inches but she moved one knee forward then the next. This is progress from just the rocking and push ups we've grown so accustomed to. She still doesn't know what to do with her hands besides hold her self up, maybe she's just working on the hind end first. Everyone tells me not to rush her, just to savor the moments while she's not mobile, but for a first time mom the milestones are just so fun to see.

Speaking of savoring the moments, Adelaide fell asleep on my lap tonight while I was rocking her. I held her for awhile there and then moved her up to my shoulder. I just rocked and really enjoyed the moment. For those of you that have spent time with Adelaide, you know she's not the kind of girl that likes to sit still and cuddle. She's an independent kind of kid. Usually when I try to rock her she squirms and squirms until I put her in her crib. So when she just relaxed and fell asleep, I knew I better relish in the experience. They are already few and far between right now; I'm sure they'll just get harder to come by.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I can remember ONE TIME when Chickpea was asleep in my arms. She was about 5 months old. I sat there for a long time to enjoy it. Sounds like Adelaide is similar! Hope she feels better soon...

Susan, wife of 1, mother of 4 said...

Hang in there, Sunee. She probably doesn't feel as bad as you think she does! Sometimes they get things back to back and it just takes them awhile to recover. I LOVED rocking them to sleep! I didn't do it too often, to start a nasty habit, but it is SO fun, isn't it? Savor these moments when she is subdued. It sounds as if she will soon be up and about and you won't get to rock her as much. It's about the only nice part of them being sick.

Colleen said...

Man, y'all have been having a rough time of it. Maybe you're just getting all of the illness done now and winter will be germ-free! From what I've seen, though, Adelaide is just about the happiest, most content sick kid ever. Her worst day is akin to some of Kate's best. :-)