Saturday, October 20, 2007

Our First Family Camping Trip

Yes, we are weirdos. We debated all Thursday night and Friday morning whether or not we should actually go on the New Parents' class camp out last night but I'm so glad we did. Like I mentioned in the previous post, Adelaide doesn't seem to be getting better. I called the doc yesterday, and they want to have a follow up exam on Monday morning to see what's going on with her ears. So despite this ongoing illness and the chance of a miserable night, we decided to, in true Conly fashion, just do it.

It was a fun time. Very different from what it used to look like before kids. There was a time when no one was around cause everyone was putting kids to bed. Then the general bedtime was a bit earlier which is weird for us 'cause we never go to bed before 11. Luckily the Lloyds are ok with late nights too. We hung out with them from awhile which we've never really gotten to do before now. I love talking around a campfire and eating smores.

I do have to say I had a horrible night, but I was the only one. Adelaide did wake up 3 times between 7 pm and 9:15 am but was never awake more than a few minutes. Really not too bad considering she's sick, was outside, and the temp got down to about 55 or so. I couldn't sleep at all which is weird for me when camping. I can usually sleep just as well in a tent bundled up in my sleeping bag as I do at home. Well that was not the case last night.

The second time Adelaide woke up it was about midnight. I just figured she was cold. She was wearing 2 sleepers, a regular one and a fleece one, and had blankets available to her, but she was still cold. So I slipped her into the sleeping bag next to me. Within a few seconds she was out. This definitely showed that she was tired and cold. The kid, like I also mentioned in the last post, never sleeps with us.

I at first laid there savoring the coolness of having my baby and my hubby both sleeping on either side of me, but then realization hit that this was gonna make my own night a little rough. It's really amazing how much of a thermarest and a sleeping bag a 18 lb, 27 inch child can take up. It was just even that I didn't quite fit on the mat and couldn't quite close the sleeping bag. I moved her. I moved the mat closer to Rocky's. I shared Rocky's sleeping bag. I turned to the side. I turned to my back, the front, my other side. Again and again. Nothing.

Finally I got Rocky's phone and started reading just to kill the time. All the while Adelaide and Rocky snoozing contently, oblivious to my struggles. Finally around 4:30 I fell asleep. Ah! I was awakened by Adelaide for the final time of the evening only 30 minutes later. Of course. This time it took a little more work to get her to go back to sleep but Rocky took over this time, unknowingly embarrassing himself by singing to Adelaide loud enough to where the Lloyds sleeping next to us heard every note. She still went to sleep pretty quickly and stayed asleep through the sun blazing through the tent, kids playing, Rocky getting dressed and leaving the tent, etc. It was amazing. I even got to sleep off and on between 5 and 9.

When I finally woke up to the sound of a laughing kid (maybe because she say me laying there near her), it was a beautiful morning. As I picked Adelaide up to get her dressed, I noticed she felt a wet. We've been having an issue with leakage. No matter what diaper we use, she leaks at night. I'm not sure what we should do. Double diaper? Cloth diaper around the outside? This was by far the worst yet. Poor kid was probably freezing 'cause of it. It had leaked through the diaper, 2 sleepers, a blanket, and her swing!

After cleaning up the pee and getting dressed, we ventured out of the tent and were welcomed to warm breakfast tacoes. We had and lazy morning and then took a little hike before we left Inks lake.

Adelaide played on a blanket alot of the time. She has a great time watching people so it worked out great for her.

Here she is playing in the tent on my Thermarest. Such a happy girl! If you look carefully, you can even see her showing off her tooth.

Above she's checking things out while on a hike with Rocky.

1 comment:

Susan, wife of 1, mother of 4 said...

You have the greatest pictures of Adelaide! Keep it up! We always took our kids camping, too (not quite as young as Adelaide), and they always did well and loved it. I can TOTALLY relate to the sleeping situation! I do NOT like sharing a bed with the kids! One time it was a complete downpour and our tent started to flood. Paul ended up with one child sleeping on his stomach in a friend's tent, on an air mattress with water in the bottom of the tent, and I ended up in the van in the back with the seats folded down with another child. They are still great memories, although not much rest was had by either of us!